calling all black weirdooooooooooooooooos!!!
the annual come-to-black-jesus celebration kicks off tonight and i can barely contain myself. the love floating in the room is just as electric as the baes in the crowd. there are few things better than sweating out your hair, p-poppin, and just being your beautiful black self in whatever form that takes. this go round my baby muhvuhs (and #RBGs) mursi layne, cat + stas (theesatisfaction), and suzi analogue are on the decks and iman omari will be sending us into a fit of tears with a performance. black weirdo is the perfect way to end ‘soul of brooklyn week’ and usher in afro punk fest weekend. be sure to cop your tickets and meet me on the dancefloor!
so….afro punk…::sigh:: ok. i have a very complicated relationship with this festival. for anyone unfamiliar, afro punk fest is an annual event celebrating ‘alternative’ (bleh) black musicians. besides amazing performances, there are vendors, a skate/bmx park situation, and alotALOT of attractive black people.
the documentary that began this movement is forever iconic, however, things in recent years have slightly sullied that legacy. this year, they’ve been promoing the need to “buy” an rsvp ticket for free along as well as tickets ranging from $25 – $225 for perks. i mean…i guess. i didn’t rsvp because somehow a free 2-day pass sold out, but we’ll see if i get played once i arrive. problemo dos. a great philosopher named steph watts (thats me btw) once said, “eff cool! i didn’t move to brooklyn to be cool.” the afro punk crowd over the years seems to want to do it for the gram (and tumblr) rather than drown in the experience and that kinda kills the vibe. for many people that travel all over the country to attend, this is their first time being surrounded by other black weirdos like them. so to show up and see a fashion show (really terrible calculated fashions, might i add) with people profiling instead of taking in the vibes and good tunes is a buzzzzzzkilllll. i moved to this city for the authenticity and sometimes i’m not in the mood to bob and weave through the corniness to find the real, ya’know?
these two issues aside, the lineup is out of this world! if i can withstand a monsoon in the name of an awesome lineup, what’s a weird ticketing situation and people in costumes, right? right. so here is the rundown of who you cannot miss this weekend! like gov ball, check back for daily festival recaps. if you see me in the crowd, say hi!
- dj underdog – green stage, 12:15 – 12:45pm + 1:15 – 1:45pm
- denetia + sene – green stage, 2:45 – 3:15pm
- king britt – red stage, 4:45 – 5:15pm + 5:45 – 6:15pm
- shabazz palaces – red stage, 5:15 – 5:45pm
- alice smith – green stage, 5:45 – 6:15pm
- the bots – black stage, 5:45 – 6:15pm
- theesatisfaction (dj set) – gold stage, 6 – 8pm
- trash talk – red stage, 6:15 – 7pm
- lianne la havas – green stage, 7 – 7:45pm
- bad brains – black stage, 7 – 7:45pm
- body count – red stage, 7:45 – 8:30pm
- sharon jones and the dap kings – green stage, 8:30 – 9:30pm
- dj dhundee – green stage, 12:15 – 12:45pm + 1:15 – 1:45pm
- princess nokia – red stage, 1:15 – 1:45pm
- dj julianna huxtable – red stage, 1:45 – 2:15pm + 2:45 – 3:15pm
- lola wolf – red stage, 3:15 – 3:45pm
- dj gianni lee – green stage, 2:15 – 2:45pm + 3:15 – 3:45pm
- dj mike q – red stage, 3:45 – 4:15pm + 4:45 – 5:15pm
- cakes da killa – red stage, 4:15 – 4:45pm
- jasmine solano + melo-x – gold stage, 4 – 6pm
- fishbone – green stage, 5:45 – 6:15pm
- unlocking the truth – black stage, 5:45 – 6:15pm
- the internet – red stage, 6:15 – 7pm
- meshelle ndegeocello – green stage, 7:00 – 7:45pm
d’angelo was originally listed on the lineup, but his name is gonezo now. not sure what that means, but let’s cross our fingers fpr a miracle guys! the full lineup can be seen here.
ps – i just want to shout cat and stas out again for naming me black weirdo of the week last month. i’m not the mushy type, but i can never thank you two enough for creating this experience called the black weirdo party. reducing it to just a party would negate the lives touched and changed within those 5 hours. i am so glad to have you on this planet and have you as my fweeeinds.